Tuesday 1 April 2014

Singapore Laksa

I am so sorry but you will have to wait a bit longer for my new Polish recipes; however I didn't want to leave you waiting so here is one of my favourite dishes. My husband did spend some time in Asia and I have to say that from that time  Singapore Laksa is something I love to eat. It always takes my back to our time there and is a perfect dish to prepare for any occasion.
The list of ingredient looks a bit exotic but if you go to your local Asian market I would expect for you to find most of it there. If you've missed a few things I'm sure it will also taste great. I had to adapt the original recipe as some of the fresh produce are almost impossible to find in the UK.
So here is what you will need and it is a long list so be ready:
200g of Asian noodles (use whatever you like: rice, wheat, buckwheat noodles. I use Poh Chai Mee which I get in Croydon Wing Yip. It is the best place in my area but supermarket noodles will be as good)
100g bean sprouts
5 dried chillies soaked and de-seeded
1 fresh red chilli
5 shallots
3 cloves of garlic
2cm of galangal root if you can buy it otherwise you will have to give it a miss
1cm of ginger root
1 tsp of turmeric
1 tsp of belachan (it is a very pungent dried shrimp paste, I got mine in Wing Yip and it gives the dish a great flavour. If you cannot find it add some fish sauce instead)
1 lemongrass
2 tbsp oil
2 tsp of coriander powder
500ml water
1 tsp of salt and sugar
1 tin of coconut milk
Garnish:
Anything fishy so shrimps, if you can get Asian fishballs, chopped crab sticks, clams, mussels and squid. And the last thing a hard boiled egg.

Prepare a paste from dried and fresh chillies, shallots, garlic, galangal, ginger, turmeric, belachan and lemongrass in a blender (if needed add some water). In a big wok heat up the oil and fry the paste until it gets fragrant for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add ground coriander and fry for one minute. Now add water, salt and sugar and bring it all to boil and simmer for 5 minutes (if you are using fresh sea food add it now also so it has time to cook). Add coconut milk and bring it almost to a boil and quickly remove from the heat.
In a big pan boil water and cook noodles and bean sprouts.
Put cooked noodles with sprouts in the individual bowls, top them with the sea food and halved egg and cover with the coconut soup (on the picture you can also noticed that I have included some fresh spinach leaves for garnish). You can also serve it with lime wedges on the side for additional flavour. Tests the best fresh and hot!!! Asian noodles tends to soak up any liquids so the next day your soup might turn up a bit drier but it will still taste amazing, I hope you will love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment